5 Important Checks You Should Perform Before Calling a Gas Engineer
What happens when the boiler fails to work all of a sudden? Nothing can bring more panic than this, especially when it happens at the most unexpected time, thus making you feel frustrated to fix things at the earliest possible time. While it is quite stressful not to have hot water, you should try out some simple checks before calling for an engineer. Even the simplest solutions are often missed when you are in panic and can be fixed within a few minutes without waiting for an engineer. So, before picking up the phone, spend a few minutes for quick checks in the boiler.
- Power supply - Checking power supply is quite obvious but sometimes, these things are forgotten during the heat of the moment. Don’t forget to check the main circuit breaker or fuse since this may be fixed by doing a simple reset. Also, see that the electricity is connected by testing other electrical items in your house. If none of them are working properly, then there is some problem with electricity supply and you will have to call a supplier who provides plumbing services in London and its nearby areas.
- Gas supply - You need to check whether the emergency control valve has been kept open. In case it is closed, then it should be opened for allowing the gas to flow. Make sure that you check the gas stopcock and open when necessary.If it is kept open but gas is still not flowing, then there is some problem with your gas supply. It is advised to get in touch with your supplier immediately.
- Boiler controls and thermostats - It is important to check all the settings as well as controls on the boiler. If there is a timer, then don’t forget to check if it has been set properly and that it comes at the right time. If it does not, then there might be some kind of problem with the power source or timer. The thermostat has to be set correctly and you can check that by increasing its temperature. It is advised to replace old thermostats since they lose their accuracy overtime.
- Reset button - Different safety devices in the boiler can often be tripped which means that you will have to press the reset button. You do not need to remove the access panel for finding the reset button. In case you are not sure where the reset button is, then check it in the manual book of the manufacturer.
- Condensate pipe - During cold weather, the condensate pipe of the boiler may freeze which causes blockage, thus shutting down the boiler. Some symptoms of frozen condensate pipe are warning lights or error codes on the boiler’s display that has been explained in the manual guide or bubbling sound coming from condensate pipe of the boiler.
If you have already checked all the things mentioned above, then it is time to call a gas engineer. You may contact our experienced engineers at A2Z Heating and Plumbing who can help in the boiler repair and installation process.